Friday, January 19, 2018

Booktube Faves, Volume 3: Book Roast

Hello, biblios!

I've slacked off a bit with posting this week, because ... life.

(But of course, I realize there's not really anyone following this blog yet.)

(But maybe you are! If so, hi!)

But I definitely wanted to do my weekly Booktuber shout-out, and this week I'm highlighting one of the funniest women I watch: Book Roast, aka Gintare, aka G.

G from Book Roast
The fact is, G is just delightful beyond words, but as this is a blog, I'll try to put some together.

First, she's originally from Lithuania and now lives in Scotland, which is just really fascinating to someone like me who has never and probably will never leave my home country. Her accent is kind of enthralling, too, to a nerd like me.

Also, she is funny as fuck. Like ... sometimes in a goofy way, sometimes in a totally unintentional way, but always hilarious. The way she edits her videos, especially when she says something a little weird or gets a little amped up, by adding little self-deprecating captions and such, just cracks me up. She's that rare women who is quirky without being annoying at all.

G (she has said that her given name is difficult to pronounce correctly for people who don't speak the language, and often refers to herself simply as "G") is largely but not entirely YA focused, and also reads a lot of graphic novels and manga, which brings some uniqueness to her channel.

One of my favorite series of videos she does is her 7 days of top 7s, where for one week she puts up a video each day with a different top 7 list — topics like emotional reads, books that should be movies, creative worlds, etc. It's a fun way to hear about some books that maybe aren't talked about as much, or to approach them in a new way.

Oh, and she's a huge Harry Potter fan and aficionado, so if you're a Potterhead, her channel is definitely one to watch.

She also runs a book club over on Goodreads called Book in a Jar — she does actually own a giant jar which she puts the current club book in for Instagram purposes and such, but otherwise I think the jar part is merely a fun incidental.

G just seems really sweet and big-hearted, and also like you'd never stop laughing if you hung out with her. Oh, and she's got amazing hair.

Have you already been watching her channel, or will you do so now at my enthusiastic recommendation? What video of hers is your favorite? Do tell!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be nice.