Tuesday, January 2, 2018

Tag Tuesday: New Year's bookish resolutions

Hello, biblios!



I'm not sure if Tag Tuesday is solely a Booktube thing, but no reason why it can't work on a blog, too!

I got these questions from one my absolute favorite Booktubers, Lala at BooksandLala. She hasn't done it yet this year, but I remembered her video from January 2017 and I assume the questions would be generally the same.

1. An author you'd like to read that you've never read before: Marissa Meyer. I have two of her books on my TBR shelves currently — Cinder, the first book in her Lunar Chronicles series; and Heartless, a retelling of Alice in Wonderland centering the Queen of Hearts. I know so many YA readers love her books and I'm eager to finally get into them!

2. A book you'd like to read: LOL, well ... all of them?? But if I had to choose one on my TBR that I'm super extra dying to read, it would be Wives and Daughters by Elizabeth Gaskell. It's a rather massive 19th century novel that only got onto my radar last year, but thanks to the effusive praise for it from another one of my favorite Booktubers, Olive, I am really looking forward to it.

3. A classic you'd like to read: Hm, I guess my answer to #2 probably counts as a classic? But if I were to choose another one that is more definitively part of the canon, I'd say Little Dorrit by Charles Dickens.

4. A book you'd like to re-read: So, I don't generally re-read books. The only ones I can think of over the past decade or so were a few classics I first read as a teenager that I wanted to revisit as an adult. But even with books that I absolutely adored, I never re-read because it's so hard to imagine spending even a couple of days on a book I've already read when I have sooooo many unread ones to get to. HOWEVER, one of my absolute all-time faves is Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman, which I read ... lord, like 15 years ago? And I have really been thinking about reading it again, so maybe this is the year!

5. A book you've had for ages and want to read: As I noted in my reading goals post, I am trying to get a handle on my TBR, and to clear out all the older books. But I don't know the date I acquired many of them! Of the ones I do know, one of them that's been on my shelves the longest (since December of 2016) is Sense and Sensibility, the last of Jane Austen's major novels I had yet to read. And I happen to be reading it right now. Huzzah!

6. A big book you'd like to read: Another one of the massive classics on my TBR shelf is Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes. It's 891 pages. That's pretty big.

7. An author you've previously read and want to read more of: Like, almost all of them? But more specifically: Megan Abbott, Terry Pratchett, Khaled Hosseini, Sandra Cisneros.

8. A book you got for Christmas and would like to read: Well ... I do celebrate non-Jesusy Christmas, because I'm a Jew with a non-Jewish father. BUT as is the sad case with a lot of booknerds, I don't actually get books for presents very often because people are like "But I don't know what you've read already!" I drop my Amazon wishlist link all the time, but even still. So I did get a B&N gift card, but no actual books. Sigh.

9. A series you want to start and finish: As mentioned above, the Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer. Also, I think I want to read the Shades of Magic trilogy by V.E. Schwab?? I am so behind the times. But I do think I want to get to that one.

10. A series you want to finish that you've already started: Hmm ... I'm not actually in the middle of any finished series, I don't think? Oh, I suppose the Shatter Me series by Tahereh Mafi could count. I didn't really like the second book much at all, but the ending was really good and kinda kept me hooked in anyway. So I do want to give the next volume a shot.

11. Do you set reading goals? If so, how many books do you want to read in 2018? Yes, of course! And my Goodreads challenge is set to 75. But if I'm being honest, I wanna beat my 2017 total of 102 :)

12. Any other reading goals? Indeed!

Do you have particular books you're dying to get to this year? Any new authors you want to try out? Do tell!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be nice.